Friday, February 20, 2009

sound off...


Ok, so in part, this is a response to the intrepid and horrid blog written by mi amigo Martin III regarding certain genres of music that he kind of doesnt like a bit...or a lot...or hates with fervor and passion...! Marty, I never knew! All this time!? Well, you have broken my heart sir, and it may never be mended...haha! I absolutely love music. I will resolutely agree with him on this point. There are few things in life that move me the way music does. Literally...

I love music. Almost all forms. More importantly, I respect all forms for their differences in style, grace, production, and depth of sound. I love electronica for these reasons! It has its amazing place in the day; whether rocking to upbeat house mixes and vocal stuff like Daft Punk M.I.A., or Chemical Brothers while slinging the beans at dutch, or sittin to chill downtempo beats like Tycho, Climber, Apparat, or Royksopp while reading a book or surfin the net, its all good.

For me, the rhythms and mellow beats can evoke emotion and deep thought, and the upbeats can drive me in times of climbing or running to push on harder and faster. Either way, Im inspired. As a given, I must say that there is a lot of truly bad electronica or techno out there. Look toward most mainstream pop techno and you'll find it. But, this is true in all genres of music...Anyway, mostly I wanted to "sound off" on my personal opinions, but I also want to hear from all my friends out there too!

Sound off...I want to know about your favorite genre and why...or your favorite song right now and why...comment it up! Love you guys

ps..if youre curious about the genre, check out any of the few groups I mentioned above, theyre all my favorite right now.

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing God we have. Music is amazing, and thats something I feel like I share with you is our love for music. While I can't make music, it moves me and shapes me and I love recalling music to mind when I need it. I love setting memories to soundtracks in my mind. I remember the Christmas party where we met to the tune of Coldplay's Clocks. I may not like Techno (I really don't) but I respect that people do. And as this is a staple for gyms across the nation and world, I will tolerate and may learn to like it. But forever, and ever, my music will be Rock and Roll. Right now three songs, no matter what I am doing or where I am in life. Tangerine-Led Zeppelin will always remind of a roadtrip, or a summer day with friends. Thunderstruck-AC/DC gets me pumped every time. The beginning guitar rules. Kashmir-Led Zeppelin Is epic. Far better than Stairway to HEaven, this song I believe is the pinnacle of what Led Zeppelin is about and how they make music. ANd I feel like when I listen to it, what I am doing at the time can be my greatest achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to say but I don't recognize a single one of those groups, bands, artists, or whatever they are, that you mentioned up there but I can totally respect your bad taste in music. Just kidding! :) Don't worry, you're gonna hate my bad taste in music too! I'm a die hard country fan. I grew up in Texas and will forever feel close to home when I listen to a good old fashioned country song. Not so much the new stuff that sounds more like a few other genres of music, but the down home country western music from the 90's. Like Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Diamond Rio, Reba McEntire, Martina McBride, John Michael Montgomery, Shania Twain, George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, Clay Walker, Alan Jackson, and Vince Gill. It immediately takes me back to those hot summer nights and the even hotter summer days, soaking up the sun and living a completely carefree life. I miss those days!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I love hearing how people live through their music...its crazy how it always evokes emotion and memories of specific times/place/people..Music has such power. Thanks for your thoughts you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music has always moved me as well. I never really learned how to play an instrument or how to sing but I pretty much see my life set to music. As far as what I choose to listen to, my musical journey started with the likes of the early 90's christian music world i.e. Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Sandy Patty, Margaret Becker, and of course the three named wonder Steven Curtis Chapman. Due to the nature of our household that was about all I was allowed to listen to. But I loved every minute of it! Rockin out into my hairbrush, belting out Heart in Motion in my bedroom is a fond memory of mine! Then I moved on to whatever was "cool" in the moment. That was short lived. You can only listen to Britney Spears and LeAnn Rimes for so long! The world of music wasn't really opened up to me until...well...you!! You came along and showed me that there was so much more than just mainstream. I love that you are always finding new, funky bands and artists to listen to. You taught me to be open to all sorts of genres and to appreciate the art in all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what happened bobby tired of bogging already?

    ReplyDelete